Friday, July 21, 2006

News of the Weird (.962)
WEEK OF JULY 16, 2006
LEAD STORYThe Texas insanity-defense law requires that a delusional person acting under "orders" from God be judged not guilty by reason of insanity, but that a delusional person acting under "orders" from Satan be considered sane, according to prominent forensic psychiatrist Park Dietz (according to a June USA Today story). Thus, Dietz believed that Andrea Yates (at press time being retried in Houston) knew that drowning her kids upon command of someone "without moral authority" (such as Satan) was wrong and thus that she did not qualify for insanity-law protection. Dietz later concluded the opposite in another Texas child-killing case because God had supposedly assured that mother that her kids would be better off dead. [USA Today, 6-20-06]

5 comments:

spin.lizzy said...

How did the woman in the second case know it wasn't Satan pretending to be God?

Ranting said...

Such a fantastic point spin! I thought the same. Maybe Satan has a high squeeky voice and G-d is more of a deep burly southern accented gentleman...what am I thinkin'? I might be biased on that...

Nicki said...

I'm waiting for the day they have actual tests to be able to differentiate the truly ill from the fakers. That will make things so much easier.

Czarina said...

I'm a bit behind the times. My mother just told me about this today.

I say, if a mother killed that many children, or even one, kill her too. Even a newborn struggles to get out from under accidental blanket covering it's face.

Imagine how much those kids have struggled. Sometimes, justice truly sucks!

Ranting said...

Ladies, it truely is sad. I just can't imagine what those poor children were thinking as she chased them around the house to drown them.