Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Fat Kid

When I was young, I was often referred to as this, much to my dismay. So, now I am an adult and I am still "fat". I have a medical condition for this and, well, I love to eat! Who doesn't? I love to cook and all that. While I am preparing dinner for my hubby and I, I listen to the radio. The station in town that I like is 96.5 The Mountain. I love their music and most of their DJs.

The other day, they introduced someone new. He goes by the name "fat kid". Now, I do not know if this particular gentleman is thin or not (as said name suggests) but I just can't get past this "handle"! I don't know if I don't like his program or if it is really just that damn name!
I try every evening to listen...Oz is on before Fat Kid...I really, really like Oz's program.
But I just can't get around that blasted name.

Society labels us enough. Do we really need someone to label themselves as Fat Kid on a radio station???

Now I know that I am a bitch...That's just me sometimes...But this is RMW... not
Listen To The Bitch!!!

I don't know, maybe I'm just being silly. It DOES bother me though. However, I will be unable to listen to another station...The Mountain Rocks!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The mountain is good. That and the fact that you can't pick up the better station in the middle of nowhere really limits your options.

I suggest NPR.

Lesley said...

Ugh, I wouldn't be able to get past that handle either. I'm sure since he's a guy he's all tough and macho about it, but my guess is he didn't like being called the "fat kid" when he was a kid. He's probably crying on the inside.

But does the DJ really refer to himself as that? Does he say things like "This is fat kid and you're listening to The Mountain"? How weird!

Ranting said...

real-have we met?


Lesley-yes, he's like "this is fat kid live at the favorite market..."
I know, I know ...it's crazy!

Nicki said...

Words only have as much power as you give them. That said, I can understand how you feel. Maybe you'll just become numb to it after awhile.