Monday, June 19, 2006

Sick & Tired



Apparently, I am sick. Unlike some...I am weak. I love to bitch & moan about being sick. Yes, yes I know it's going around but, I have been dealing with this thing for over a month. It is not giving up easily and has led my M.D. to believe that I have "allergies". So, feeling very fatigued, I strolled through massive amounts of cold,flu,sinus, & allergy information
to entertain the bloggers of the world. Here goes:


1. Colds are caused by hundreds of common viruses that are easily passed from human to human. Thus, you must actually ingest someone else's "snot", if you will, to become infected.
It can be inhaled from a sneeze or passed to your nose after you touch the stair railing and then taking a quiet moment to root around in the nasal cavity for any offenders. Don't try to play it off, we all do it.

2. Influenza is also caused by inhalation of respiratory fluids. Best defense...(they say)....get a flu shot. If you are allergic to eggs, you are SOL. No flu shot for you. The vaccine is actually "grown" in chicken eggs. Yum!

3. An allergy is a heightened sensitivity to a foreign substance, (I have lived in this part of the country most of my life and I eat locally harvested honey...I would think that we would have moved past the "foreign" part a long time ago.) ,which causes the body's defense system to overreact when defending itself. Normally, the immune system would only react if a harmful substance, such as a bacteria, attacks the body. For people with allergies, their own immune system is working too hard, and it reacts even when relatively harmless substances such as pollen are present. The severity of an allergic reaction can vary from mild discomfort to life threatening situations.

4. Sinisitis: put #1,2 or 3 to good use and BAM...sinisitis!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you are allergic to D. Or maybe to non-red vettes.

I was also under the impression that there was a more expensive although non egg based vaccine for the flu.

I smell conspiracy.

Nicki said...

I would love to bitch about being sick while I'm at home, but there's no one there to listen. At work, I hate the fact I'm sick even brought up. I'm supposed to be tough as nails there.

You're tough as nails, too, I bet.

GET BETTER!

Lesley said...

I agree with Freak -- I hate when the work peeps know I'm sick. But yet at home, there's no one to listen. That's why I have a blog.

Well, whatever is causing the sinusitis yuck, I hope it goes away soon. Lots of well wishes are coming your way. Take care and feel better.

Ranting said...

Real- they are working on experimental vaccine that is grown is some sort of metal vat...I am unsure if they have been successful as of yet...also, i am sure i am not allergic to white vette...I have been vaccinated for that. good thing I'm NOT allergic to eggs!

Freak & Lesley-thanks you guys for the kind words and encouragement! It means alot! I'll keep telling myself..."tough as nails...tough...as...nails, tough...as.....nails......"
wuuu...
all that self encouragement can be tireing good thing I have u guys!